Monday, October 17, 2011

Victim No More

As times became hard for my family I became desperate for someone to understand me. To understand what I was going through. There are many well meaning people or others who may were not so well meaning and just wanted me to leave them alone possibly. Anyway, I often for whatever reason kept have the scripture, "But one thing I do, Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which Christ has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." found in Philippians 3:13-14.
I remember so many times thinking, "Move ahead to what?" I saw no end in sight to the suffering my family was going through. Then even after my husband's brain surgery and life for our family was improving I still could not seem to see that first of all things were getting better or second of all that there was any hope for my family. I believed we were hopelessly down for the count. I would agonize over this passage because I truly want to live Biblically. Then one day I was reading and a sentence for verse 15 jumped off the page at me. Verse 15b says, "And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you." I decided at that point that I was going to talk to God about the fact that I was seeing things differently.
It was not long later that during some study of another passage it occured to me that, yes my family and I had become vicitms in the past, but I did not rise above it. Instead I developed a victim mentality. I realized I was going to continue to be victimized as long as I saw myself as a victim. Then I realized while looking at another passage that one of the big ways I kept this vicitm mentality going was that I kept running away from the things that I am afraid of. Instead I need to run straight at it and face the things I am afraid of otherwise I will be held hostage to those things. I needed to overcome. So I resolved that I would overcome. I started facing at least one each week. It is so nice to finally be finding freedom again. I am looking forward to what the Lord has in store now.

2 comments:

  1. Its so good, and encouraging, to see how God continues to work in your life. Thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, got to read it and hear it...and see you live it! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete