Thursday, April 26, 2012

Life's Renovations

Romans 12:2 says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."

January 1, 1989 was a day that I will never forget.  That year New Years Day fell on a Sunday and our pastor was out of town visiting his family for the holiday.  I went to church that morning with my boyfriend at the time and my Sunday School teacher was preaching that morning.  It was on this day that one part of my life's journey ended, but another amazing journey began.  For several months I had been seeking to find answers in scripture to many questions that I had about life.  It was through this quest I realized that I had never surrendered my heart to Christ.  That morning during the altar call I went forward and gave my heart to the Lord. 

I have never once had a regret about that decision though my journey with the Lord has had some painful times.  However, the journey has also had many joyful times.  As I ponder the verse above I am reminded of a study I did on Romans 12:2 a few years ago.  One of the words I found for "renewing" was renovation.  Now I have never experienced a home renovation personally, but I remember when my step-mom decided to remodel the kitchen in the home she shares with my dad.  That was a painful for thing for my sisters and I as my dad and step-mother live in the same house we grew up in and that our dad shared with our mother before their divorce.  It was right for her to remodel this kitchen as she needed to make the house her home instead of our mother's home.  However, for my sisters and I this was a difficult thing to see happen.

My life was the same way when Jesus came to reside in my heart.  I kicked out my self from being in charge to now Christ is in charge.  So many things in my heart and life needed to change.  Jesus had to remodel my life.  This has not always been easy as things needed to be torn down in order to be rebuilt, but Jesus as occupant in charge needed to make this home His.  There have been many renovations since. 

I am learning that even though some of the renovations Christ does in my life are painful that I can trust Him to make my life beautiful.  So when life is difficult or painful trust in the Lord, surrender to Him, and allow Him to give you His perfect peace.  The other option is to fight Him in the renovation process that will only hurt you more in your life and you will miss part of the beauty of His plan.  So lean hard on Him today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment