Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What are you doing to spread the Gospel

Matthew 28:18-20

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

I mentioned in a previous post that my family spent a month in Ashland, Kentucky where my husband volunteered a month of his time working at Southland Bible Institute. While we were there a family came for 10 days. The Regans are raising support to be a missionary family at Southland Bible Institute teaching music. They were an encouragement to me and in many ways their family challenged me in areas where my walk with the Lord was lacking. One of those challenges was in the area of evangelism. Bob and Abigail take all five children(six after the one expected in May arrives) out to hand out tracks and witness about Christ. They were able to be outside the Ashland Wal-Mart for two and a half hours before management kicked them out.

This made me stop and think about our family. What are we doing to share the gospel? How are we participating in evangelism? In Matthew 28, The Great Commission (quoted above) does not say that pastors or evangelists are supposed to share the Gospel. They are. It does not say missionaries are supposed to share the Gospel. They are. ALL Christians are called to share the Gospel. The Great commission is clear about this. I began to ask myself what our family is doing to share the Gospel. The Lord might not be asking us to hand out tracks at Wal-Mart or he might be. The fact of the matter is Vic and I have never asked God what our family is supposed to be doing to fulfill the Great Commission as a family. So, that night I brought it up to Vic. We have prayed, talked, and basically sought the Lord about this issue. The Lord is faithful and gave us some guidance. At this time we do not believe we are called to hand out tracks at Wal-Mart (we could be called to do that some day), but we believe the Lord has led us to walk through our town and pray over each house we walk by for revival, spiritual renewal, and salvation if any one in that family has not given their heart the Lord. So that is where we start. We are going on prayer walks throughout our town. Our goal is to one day have prayed over every single house in town. We believe the Lord will lead us from there.

What is your family called to do in order to fulfill The Great Commission? What are you called to do as an individual? As a married couple? I challenge you to seek the Lord and get in the race.

2 comments:

  1. Amen...go ye there: Where? To all nations, now is the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good challenge to all Christians and their families. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete