Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Servant Girls

Today we got a dishwasher.  It is a portable one that someone did not need anymore so we got it.  The machine works great!!!  I just finished washing my first load in it.  We did have a dishwasher a while back, but it quit working and the repair would have been costly.  So back to hand washing dishes I went.  I am soooo grateful for my new dishwasher.  This got me thinking of the Proverbs 31 Woman.  One of the advantages she had were servant girls.  Proverbs 31:15 "She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls." 

I used to think that sure if I had servant girls that I could do all the things that she does in this Proverb.  Then I started to think about what life would have been like for this woman.  She would have to bring in her own wood to start a fire for cooking, then haul in her own water to clean with or to drink for that matter.  Then to think she would also have to grow her own food (no grocery stores back then) grind her own grains, make her own candles or make sure to fuel the lamps so they would work for light.  Then to do laundry hauling water, scrubbing by hand and wringing out by hand.  Then to think she would not have been able to go to the store to buy soap either so she would have to make her own soap too.  I am sure that if I thought further I could continue on with this list, but I think you get the point.  WOW!!!!  She would have to have servant girls and it would have still been a lot harder than my life. 

My perspective on life and my household appliances have changed that is for certain.  How much do I take for granted that I can just run to the store if I need something or flip a switch and a light comes on or turn a knob and I have water.  I started to think of my appliances as my servant girls.  At church today I told a woman that I was excited to be getting a dishwasher and I told her that it meant I am getting a new servant girl.  Then I explained my perspective for that.  Then the lady at my church suggested that I name my new servant girl.  I thought that was a great idea so I decided to name a few of my servant girls.  My new dishwasher is Rhoda, my washing machine is Maddy, my dryer is Fluffy, my bread machine is Josephina, and my microwave is Ada.  My husband and his friend laughed at me for naming my "servant girls", but I think it is a fun way to remind myself that I am truly blessed.  Also to remind myself that I have all the advantages of the Proverbs 31 Woman so it is not some impossible dream, but instead a goal to strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment