Monday, July 30, 2012

Turning 40 Ramblings

I turned 40 yesterday.  What a time of reflection.  It is the first time my age hit me, but not too hard.  I do not regret my life or the choices I have made.  What I think hit me so hard is that in my mind my dad was still 40, but last year he turned 60.  So I am realizing that I am the same age I have been thinking of my dad as.  A side note is that a really neat thing is that my dad and I have the same birthday.  I was born on his 21st birthday.  That probably makes it even worse that I did not realize that he was not still 40.  Anyway, turning 40 is not so bad-- I told my sisters and my mom that 40 is the new 20.  So when my sister had a party for my birthday she only put 20 candles on the cake since 40 is the new 20 after all.

So far my 40th year has not been too bad.  Yesterday we all went to church and then went out for lunch with my in-laws.  Then relaxed that afternoon and cleaned the house.  Then we went back to church for our Singing For Missions service (every time there is a fifth Sunday in a month we have a singing service and take up a special offering for a missionary the we support).  At the Singing for Missions Caleb gave me my favorite present of all when he at the last minute decided he wanted to sing.  He chose to sing Amazing Grace and did a really good job for a seven year old who spontaneously chose to sing in front of a group of people.  Then today we did our homeschooling, I got the dishes I have been behind on caught up, washed four loads of laundry, and took time to listen to my frustrated, discouraged husband.  It will rain again someday honey and end this drought then we can go on building some of those dreams we are watching die in the sun and heat.

My favorite part of the day however was when we looked at some skits and videos on You Tube.  We decided as a family we are ready to sing, do some dramas, and may be even some miming at church for some specials.  So we spent some time looking at things we might enjoy doing.  It was fun when the boys had free time today to watch them acting out some of the dramas that they saw.  They seem to have a knack for this.  So we will see.  So far being 40 is not too bad.  Certainly not the old age I used to think it was when I was younger and Caleb says I am not old as well so I must still be young.

1 comment: